Monday 31 March 2008

A trip to Uganda

And now for something not code related... In July this year I will be heading out to Uganda for two weeks - to do building work for Watoto orphanages. It's going to be hard work, but very, very worthwhile.

Watoto is an awesome project that builds homes for children left orphaned as a result of war and disease. The project has a long term goal to provide family life, shelter, education, and medical care for these kids.

Thanks to the support of people around the world, Watoto has built several villages for orphans. Far from being drab institutions, the children are given a full life and placed into a new family (of 8 orphans with one adoptive mother).

We need to raise a whole tonne of money to fund this project (as I understand it building and setting up a single house costs about £20,000, for example). I'm not sure how I'm going to raise funds yet, and since inspiration doesn't tend to turn up magically, I'd appreciate some ideas!

If anyone wants to support us in this project, I'd love to let you! Please do contact me.

I'm sure there'll plenty more about this project to come...

No comments: